Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

By Shelly Kahle

I received a butternut squash from Bountiful Baskets and had never used one before, so I searched for recipes, found one I liked and made it my own. It is soo good. Amanda and I loved it. You can adjust the jalapeno to your heat liking. My jalapeno I used gave it a good kick!

2 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
I onion diced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp dry powdered ginger
I jalapeno seeded and diced
1 (2 lb.) butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed
2-3 cups chicken broth depending on thickness of soup you want
1 can of lite coconut milk
1 tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
can add sour cream as a garnish

Melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, ginger, and jalapeno pepper. Cook until onion has softened about 7 min. Add butternut squash and chicken broth, brown sugar, and salt. Wait to add pepper till you taste you may not want to add any extra heat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Add coconut milk, cook and stir 5 min more. Puree soup in batches in blender or use a stick blender and puree in the pot. Preseason and serve as is or with sour cream.

6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment