Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yutavatsla (German Cookies) by Jane Davenport

This recipe came from Grandma Esther. She always made them for Christmas. I learned how to make them many years ago. After Grandma passed away, it has been my family’s tradition to get together and make these delicious cookies. (My mom thinks they are too dry, but my kid and grandkids love them.) They make a really big batch and it takes all day plus sometimes to make them. I am the only one that makes them and I have passed the knowledge on to my children. I visited my brother in Arizona and was asked to make him some. So I did. They were very good, as always.

Blend together:
2 C Brown sugar
2 C White Sugar
3 egg yolks (save whites for icing)
2 C lard

Then mix, until well blended:
2 C molasses
2 C cream
2 C perked coffee
2 C raisins (ground or chopped fine)

Add these spices:
2 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
½ t nutmeg
2 t vanilla
2 t baking soda

Then add enough flour to make soft dough or be able to handle with fingers. Roll in small balls and press lightly on top of each cookie.

Bake 350-375 degrees for 15 minutes

ICING………..

2 C sugar
¾ C water and then boil.

Beat egg whites then add the syrup to beaten egg whites then add 3 T powdered sugar.
Pour over cookies then mix with hands until cookies are covered then let set for a few minutes then stir again. Store in covered jar.

This is another icing recipe that Grandma gave me. I don’t really like it as well but here goes.

½ C Karo light corn syrup
3 C sugar
½ C cold water

Boil to soft ball stage. Beat 2 egg whites until stiff add ½ of the syrup and beat until stiff- Boil the rest of the syrup until it cracks in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment