Friday, October 9, 2009

Cornmeal Casserole Pie

By Jane Davenport

I got this recipe on Sept 19th 1984 while I was waiting for Amanda to get her teeth fixed in Dr. Rod Emory's dentist office. I found this in a magazine. I love this and it is easy to make. Most of the ingredience are usually those in the pantry. I have made a few changes to this recipe and they will be noted in the recipe.

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup cold water
2 cups boiling water
1 Tlb butter
1 tsp salt

Mix cornmeal in cold water, stir in boiling water, salt and butter. Heat until it thickens. Cover and simmer 5 min. Spread evenly in a 3 qt casserole baking dish and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

1/2 ground beef
2 sm onions
3 Tlb cornmeal
2 cups tomatoes
1 can kidney beans drained (I use 2 cans pork and beans)
1/2 med green pepper chopped (I leave this out)
2 cups tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed dried chilies or 1 can green chilies chopped
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup cheese

Brown ground beef add onions, green pepper(if used), 3 Tlb corn meal, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, salt chilies and garlic salt. Simmer for a few minutes then pour over crust that you just baked in the oven and sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered until bubbly about 35 minutes. Sometimes I wait about 15 minutes to put the cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment