Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pottage Mongol (Split Pea Soup)

By Jane Davenport

This recipe was given to me by Grandma Largent. I use it all the time it is so good. I have adjusted the recipe a bit. I can't help it, I always do.
She got this from the March 1943 Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.

2/3 Cups Yellow Split Peas
1 quart water
1 ham bone (I use 2 or 3 ham hocks)
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup celery tops chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 1/2 cups tomatoes

Wash peas, cover with water and soak overnight. Next morning add ham bone(ham hocks) onion, celery tops, carrot, and simmer 1 hour. Add tomatoes and simmer a few minutes.
I don't soak the peas overnight and add all ingredient all at once so it takes longer to cook the peas. I simmer the soup for a few hours.

You can add 1/2 cup broken spaghetti if you like. I usually don't
Add Salt and pepper to taste and a pat of butter to the top.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment