Monday, October 5, 2009

Pig in the Blanket

By Jane Davenport

Grandma Walz always made these for Christmas Eve. I have never gotten the recipe just like Grandma made it, but I remember that I could have eaten it until I exploded. She never used a recipe so this is what she told me. Believe me I had to dig the amounts out of her.

2 lb hamberger
1 cup rice partially cooked but not quite done
Salt, pepper and onion to your taste
1 pint of tomatoes
Mix this together with your hand and roll this up in cabage leaves. I have tried blanched and unblanched. Blanched are easiest to roll up without breaking the leaves. Place in dutch oven and top with tomatoes and bake in oven until done. I bake at 350 degrees and cook until it looks done. You can usually tell by the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment